Advice for Expository PreachersSeptember 27, 2009
Andrew Sherwood’s notes – from Mark Dever’s talk at the God Exposed Conference:
Advice for Expositional Preaching:
1) Normally, preach consecutively through parts of the Bible.
2) Good expositional preaching is canonical (through the whole Bible). See Acts 20. He also took us to I Samuel (listen to this talk for this section alone) where Samuel and Eli speak about God’s Word coming to Samuel. Perhaps the most powerful few minutes of the whole conference.
3) Good expositional is connected. Show how it fits with the whole message of the Bible.
4) It should be centered on the Gospel.
5) It is theological.
6) It is critical. It instructs about and criticizes idols. Don’t always preach nice and happy. Think of Jesus’ ministry.
7) It is evangelistic. Distinct from #4. As you preach, don’t shy away from talking about sin and the need for Christ. Teach people to take their hopes off of themselves and put it on Christ. Speak to non-Christians in your sermons.
8 ) It is applied. Do not think that application is only the Holy Spirit’s work. Our whole lives are to be transformed.
9) It is integrated (work it into your life). Read what is being preached on in your quiet time, prepare your heart for it. Teach your congregation to prepare for the sermon. It is the highlight of their week!