Expository PitfallsJuly 13, 2007
According to Expository Thoughts, here are 14 of the most common…
1. Not taking enough time to observe the text of Scripture.
2. Observing things that are not there or are not significant.
3. Not checking and double-checking your observations.
4. Rushing exegesis for the sake of exposition.
5. Being slavishly dependent on commentaries.
6. Preaching too long.
7. Preaching too short.
8. Missing the point(s) of a passage.
9. Abusing the aorist tense .
10. Losing site of the context.
11. Having all heat (passion) and no light (content).
12. Having all light and no heat.
13. Flattening out a text for the sake of a theological system.
14. Erecting a theological “mountain” in the place of a mere theological “hill.”