How You Prepare to Preach (4th edition)March 7, 2007
For this week’s Under Construction, we return to how various people prepare sermons. Here is how Bryan Chapell suggests it should be done. Taken from his book “Christ Centered Preaching” (pg. 345) note that several of these steps may be interchangeable.
1. Spiritual Preparation: Piety, Planning, Prayer.
2. Read and Digest the Thought of the Text.
3. Identify the Fallen Condition Focus.
4. Research the Text (history, grammar, exegetical outline, issues etc)
5. Consider Specific Applications.
6. Collect Developmental Matter (quotes, statistics, illustrations, key terms, commentary data etc)
7. Create a Homiletical Outline (proposition, main points etc)
8. Place Developmental Matter in Outline.
9. Write Conclusion and Introduction.
10. Write Sermon Body.
11. Reduce to Outline.